Body lift, Geelong
What is it?
A body lift is an abdominoplasty, thigh and buttock lift all in one for men or women.
This is usually caused by stretching from:
- Significant weight loss.
Am I suitable?
A body lift is an option if you:
- Are healthy and have a realistic expectation
- Have finished your family
- Have reached your goal weight
- Diet and exercise and have now left you with excessive skin and fat
- Are a non-smoker
- Have a body mass index (BMI) below 30.
Your initial consultation will be with our practice nurse who will determine if you fit the criteria as stated above and provide you with information regarding the procedure. This consultation is at no cost to you.
All being well, your next appointment is then with Mr McDonald who will discuss your medical history and perform a thorough clinical consultation. He can show you before and after photographs of other patients’ results.
Mr McDonald will have a full discussion with you about the risks and complications of the surgery. He will not agree to perform any cosmetic procedure on you unless he feels the benefits significantly outweigh the risks.
What can I expect if I have the procedure?
- The operation takes four to six hours.
- Expect a three to four-day stay in hospital.
- You will need help at home.
- You will need to walk slightly stooped to keep the tension off the wound.
- Pain and discomfort are controlled with medication prescribed by Mr McDonald.
- You will be required to wear a compression garment for six to 12 weeks post-operatively. Initially this is 24 hours a day, seven days a week for one to two weeks and then it may be removed for showering.
- Your scars will be taped for three months.
- You will require four to six weeks off work.
- No driving for four weeks.
- No heavy lifting for six weeks.
- Exercise will be limited to short walks, gradually increasing. This helps to reduce the risk of blood clots in the legs.
- Pre and post-operative photos will be taken.
The operation is performed under a general anaesthetic. During the procedure a long, curved cut is made in the skin across the lower abdomen at the level of the top of the pubic hair. In a body lift, the cut is usually extended around to the back. Often the scar will completely encircle the waist. A separate small cut is made around the umbilicus (belly button). Beneath the skin the abdominal wall muscles are tightened with stitches if necessary. The excess skin and fat is then removed. The lower wound is stitched with dissolving sutures. The umbilicus or belly button is stitched with non-dissolving stitches. The hips and buttocks are lifted up to the incision line and a tighter waist and buttocks are achieved. Liposuction may be performed in conjunction if additional excess fat needs removing. The wounds are taped and the compression garment is applied.
We will keep in close contact with you and see you in five to seven days after your surgery, then on a needs basis weekly and then at three months. You can phone our rooms anytime and there is a recorded message after hours.
These may occur with any surgical procedure. These will be discussed in detail in your consultation with Mr McDonald. The risks of complications are reduced if you are healthy, are a non-smoker and not overweight.
The aim of Mr Anthony McDonald and his team is to make your initial consultation, and any subsequent appointments and treatment, as relaxed and stress-free as possible. Any questions or concerns you have will be addressed with care and ensure you fully understand the procedure you may have.