What is it?
Liposuction is a surgical technique used to remove fat through small incisions in the skin. Liposuction is not a way of losing weight. It is done when bulges of fat resist diet and exercise. Common areas are thighs, abdomen and hips. It can be also used to form a more natural contour at the site of previous surgery. Liposuction can also be performed in conjunction with abdominoplasty or breast reduction surgery.
Am I suitable?
- You must be healthy and have a realistic expectation.
- You must be a non smoker and have a body mass index (BMI) below 30.
- Your skin must have the elasticity required to bounce back after the fat is removed.
What can I expect if I have the procedure?
- This procedure is usually performed as a day case however sometimes an overnight stay might be required.
- You will need someone to drive you home from hospital and stay with you for 24 hours.
- Pain and discomfort are controlled with medication prescribed by Mr McDonald.
- You will be required to wear a compression garment for six to 12 weeks post-operatively. This helps mold your new shape and prevent fluid collection.
- You will require one to two weeks off work.
Liposuction is performed under general anaesthetic. The fat to be removed is accessed through tiny incisions positioned near the area to be treated. A tube with suction attached removes the fat. The small incisions are either sutured or taped. Your post-operative garment is applied in theatre.
We will keep in close contact with you and see you in five days after the surgery, then on a needs basis and then at three months. You can phone our rooms anytime and there is a recorded message after hours.
These may occur with any surgical procedure. These will be discussed in detail in your consultation with Mr McDonald. The risks of complications are reduced if you are healthy, are a non-smoker and not overweight.
The aim of Mr Anthony McDonald and his team is to make your initial consultation and any subsequent appointments and treatment as relaxed and stress-free as possible. Any questions or concerns you have will be addressed with care and ensure you fully understand the procedure you may have.